Monday, September 18, 2017

I was a *Thespian* in High School!

From 2009...

So, over the holidays I had drinks with an old friend from High School, Janet Englebert. We were both in drama class and all of the shows together. She not only had a program from one of the shows - she had *pictures*! Of me at 16 years old! When I was working almost full time, going to high school, and working on or being in all of the plays. No time to eat - so it was one of the few skinny periods in my life.




The Program...


Cast List...


The Star's Bios (I remember this play, have no memory of Gloria Mundi)...


Here is a scene with Janet and me...


And me with a very sharp knife...


And Janet and the very sharp knife...


And Patty Loveland after she sees what happens through the rear window of her apartment...


And my *favorite* part of being an actor in High School - the chance to see girls in their underwear. That's Nora in her bra reflected in the mirror.

My goal was to see every girl in class in their underwear... and maybe even topless! That could happen when there were quick changes backstage.


We did a haunted house every year to earn money to put on plays. That's my severed head...






What a strange thing to see myself that young - and people who were my closest friends at the time... now, just memories. I wonder what happened to them all?

- Bill

2 comments:

Martin_B said...

The high point of my acting career was playing Wee Willie Winkie in primary school. It involved running across the stage with a lighted candle. I brought great emotional intensity to the role.

I see you were also "...a valuable backstage worker including Prop Crew Chief." It seems this aspect has had more influence on your subsequent career than acting has.

wcmartell said...

I was props/special FX on VISIT TO A SMALL PLANET where props floated and flew and moved around on their own. You also had to build things as Prop Crew Chief - and I was good at that.

Here's the strange thing - Janet Englebert looks *exactly* the same then and now.

- Bill

eXTReMe Tracker