Tuesday, July 08, 2008

People Are Reading Screenplays!

You’d think with a potential SAG strike on the horizon that might close down the biz for a few months (which I don't really think will happen - but the threat is there), no one would want to read a screenplay... but suddenly everyone wants to read my scripts. I have no idea what this is all about. Though I’ve been sending out query letters like crazy, most of the people reading are coming from other places.

There are a half dozen producers reading my scripts right now, as well as an agency and a management company. Literally six producers... plus I have some folks e-mailing me about reading scripts. Now, I’m sure this will all come to nada, but right now I have lots of possibilities - lots of “Chances To Win”.

All of the production companies are indie - so maybe they have SAG waivers and are looking for material to make if there *is* a strike. One of the odd things is that the scripts aren’t all low budget stuff - most are in that medium budget range. All are thrillers or action, by the way - no one is requesting horror.

In fact, I’m kind of worried that there are so many people reading, there won’t be enough scripts to go around. What if, by some miracle, all of these people want to buy a medium budget action script... I’m not sure I have enough to go around! I’d better get back to work on the new spec!

Hopefully one of the reps will bite. It’s frustrating to have scripts passed around town and end up at a studio based producer... then just sit there because there is no one to push anyone into making a decision. I brainstormed up *70* high concept sequel ideas for a particular studio’s library... but I don’t have any direct connection with that studio, so I’m at the mercy of the producers I know. Heck, I could generate 70 high concept sequel ideas for any studio - if someone could get me in the door. As it is, anything that happens in my career is an “accident” - someone reads a script and hands it to someone. It would be nice to have a career on purpose.

Of course, by the end of the month this flurry will be over, and nothing will have happened - but it would be nice to sell another script this year.

- Bill
IMPORTANT UPDATE:

TODAY'S SCRIPT TIP: Submission Definitions.
Yesterday’s Dinner: Nothing.
Pages: Still cranking on the new spec... haven't finished the day, yet, so I don't know my page count.

4 comments:

Bryan said...

C'mon, Bill. Remember your Tao of Pooh. Stop thinking like Eyeore and get your Tigger mojo working for ya. How great it is to be wanted! They're gonna love ya, Bill. Next thing you know, you'll be the new Derek Haas, a *wanted* man wherever you go!

If Pooh isn't the right inspiration, you can always take a page from Monty Python and always look on the bright side of life [insert whistle tune here].

Gonna be great, Bill. Sometimes you've to to believe before you can see...

Morgan McKinnon said...

Bryan said..."Gonna be great, Bill. Sometimes you've to to believe before you can see..."

I find that to be the very best way to live.

Daily. I visualize myself as an award-winning screenwriter.

And then I began to do the work that it takes to achieve that goal.

Bill says..."As it is, anything that happens in my career is an “accident” - someone reads a script and hands it to someone. It would be nice to have a career on purpose."

Could be. I know in my life I believe that my "accident"(s) are caused by my hard work and determined attitude.

The best to you Bill. You too Bryan.


Morgan

Leif Smart said...

Good to hear things are on the up at the moment for you! Hope you can get into a nice bidding war situation, at long as it ends in a sale that it.

Would now be a good time to shop around for an agent to help push those sales through?

Team Brindle said...

"What if, by some miracle, all of these people want to buy a medium budget action script... I’m not sure I have enough to go around! I’d better get back to work on the new spec! "

LOL! This cracked me up. There's a lesson here... If you're gonna be all neurotic & obsessive about you're writing, be neurotic & obsessive in a PRODUCTIVE WAY. ;-)

eXTReMe Tracker