Friday, March 09, 2012

Stephen Frears on NOTORIOUS

I don't have SABOTAGE finished, so...

Here is another from the Close Up On Hitchcock series, featuring one of my favorite directors, Stephen Frears. I first became aware of Frears with his movie THE HIT, which was one of those great British gangster movies from the 80s. It seemed for a while that all of the great crime films were coming from the UK, every month another MONA LISA. Then that stopped.

Frears continued to make great films, and many of my favorites. I love THE GRIFTERS and DIRTY PRETTY THINGS and HIGH FIDELITY and DANGEROUS LIASONS. He knows how to create *atmosphere* in a film, to give it a distinctive tone and feel and to take us into a world that we are unfamiliar with and show us how it works. And he knows how to build suspense visually - through shot choice and editing. So, what does he have to say about Hitchcock? Let's find out...



By the way, NOTORIOUS is my favorite Hitchcock film.

- Bill

1 comment:

Brett said...

Love NOTORIOUS.

Lve love love.

There will never be another Ingrid.

"Ooof."
.
.
.
B

eXTReMe Tracker